Follow #folktaleweek2022 to see all the work shared Nov 14-20, 2022
Every year, I think “I would like to do something for #folktaleweek!” And then life happens and I get too busy. And this year would be no different except my primary EdTech client is going through some changes and quite suddenly stopped having work for me. So starting Friday, I decided to try and get SOMETHING together for this week. I started sketching and pondering and some ideas started to coalesce. I don’t have time to write my own story with the prompts, so I decided to use existing stories for inspiration.
Sometimes when you do personal projects, they sort of make themselves and this one also has a mind of its own. Since I prioritized The Omer Project for the last couple of years, I haven’t done any new portfolio or figurative illustration work in a while. So I decided to go back to a beginning of sorts. When I was a bit younger and studying theatrical design, I was inspired by Erte. I loved the idea of an illustrator who also designed scenery and costumes (and yes, also Maurice Sendak among others). Although I loved his clean, elegant lines, and poster flat colors, his work was never something I attempted to emulate. This is before the days of digital so I assumed it all had to be screen work. This was also over 30 years ago.
I had zero intention of doing this project in Adobe Illustrator. I’ve spent the last several years working on my non-digital techniques. And I’ve hated Adobe Illustrator for a very long time. The software and I first met 25 years ago at a time when you had to reverse paths in order to compound them to poke a hole in a shape. This was not particularly user friendly. And pulling Bezier Curves into place with handles was too much for me. I didn’t like fighting with my drawing. So my twenty year hatred of Illustrator ran up against a wall five years ago when my vector-ish software of choice, Adobe Flash (formerly, Macromedia Flash, formerly FutureSplash – yes, I was there with it all along), suddenly became software non-grata and I was forced to start creating elementary school spot and technical illustrations using Illustrator instead.
I have to say this software has improved substantially with age. While there is still quite a bit I don’t know about Illustrator, it seemed the appropriate medium for what I had in mind. And, as I’ve already got a work flow of building library elements in it, it may also be the quickest tool to create the most polished *ahem* rough drafts in my current arsenal. My initial plan was to do up wireframes in Illustrator and print them out to finish traditionally. But there’s not enough time for that. I’ll be lucky if I can get in all seven drafts this week. Also for brevity, I’m going to attempt to do these paper doll portrait style. And I’ll be keeping an eye on how long they take. It’s always good to know how long work takes you so you can give good time estimates. Well, here goes…